The end of the year is a great time to reflect on past successes and look forward to what the new year has in store.
Here at RAVEN we came up with our 2016 To Do List. While it’s an honour to do this work and stand shoulder to shoulder with Indigenous Peoples, we recognize that the tasks ahead are challenging. We need all the help we can get: we need YOU.
2016 To Do List:
- Tsilhqot’in First Nation: raise $150,000 to allow for preparations for 3 preliminary motions and 2 judicial review hearings in the case against Taseko’s New Prosperity Mine.
- Madii Lii: raise $150,000 for the filing of a judicial review of the Petronas and Prince Rupert LNG Transmission Project & subsequent litigation aimed at protecting the 2nd largest salmon river in BC and stopping the transport of fracked gas.
- Stop the Site-C Dam: raise $250,000 for Treaty 8 First Nations to carry out federal and provincial appeals
- The Tarsands Trial: raise $250,000 to support the Beaver Lake Cree treaty case against Alberta and Canada
As Nelson Mandela put it, “Everything is impossible — until it’s done.” While the list above is ambitious, take a look at what we DID do in 2015. Then, if you can, please donate. You can join our Circle of Allies to provide reliable monthly support or give us a one-time tax deductible donation.
2015 DONE List:
- Raise $98,000 online with the help of 84 online fundraisers including David Suzuki, Caleb Behn, Moksha & Yodo Yoga, Force of Nature, Leadnow Community, artists, musicians, students, ice cream makers, Zumba classes, weddings, birthday parties, and more in 2015… done!
- Bring together Treaty 8 Nations and allied organizations to “Join the Circle” and raise $150,000 for legal challenges to the Site C Dam… done!!
- Raise $130,000 for the Beaver Lake Cree with the help of Crystal Lameman, individual donors and foundations, and the GRRowd team from the Hague… done!!!
- Engage 178 businesses and fundraisers, plus 2809 individual donors to raise $600,000 for six First Nations fighting the Northern Gateway pipeline… done!!!!
It’s incredibly humbling to be standing with the courageous Nations who have taken on some of the biggest legal battles of our time. These Indigenous guardians should not have to stand alone, for what they are defending is our common future.
If you have made a donation in 2015: THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts. If you have yet to donate, there’s still time. Click here to make a one-time or monthly contribution.