RAVEN’s vision is a country that embraces the ancestral laws of Indigenous Peoples and their equitable access to the justice system within a thriving natural habitat.
WHY NOW? Because the future depends on it.
Our mission is to raise legal defence funds to assist First Nations who enforce their rights and title to protect their traditional territories.
What We Believe
The environmental challenges that face many First Nations in Canada are really challenges for the entire world. Fundamentally, we believe these are issues of human rights and climate change – we are seeking environmental justice for all. The constitutional rights of First Nations groups are the strongest environmental laws in Canada (and possibly the world), especially now that the Canadian government has gutted national environmental protection legislation. The law is clearly on the side of First Nations: their victories will protect us all.
“RAVEN is really giving us hope: that has more value than any monetary value that can be put to anything. It’s beyond words how we appreciate what BC and British Columbians and Canadians are doing to help stand beside us in our fight. It’s really humbling. How can you not feel like you’re going to win?” ~ kil tlaats’gaa Peter Lantin, Council of the Haida Nation
Unfortunately, there is an inherent imbalance for Canada’s First Nations in their struggle to protect their rights and lands in our legal system. Native leaders, advocates and their legal teams almost always face overwhelming odds when going against the established interests of large corporations and the governments that support them. Governments and wealthy corporations are able to hire large teams of lawyers and experts to bolster their arguments. Their resources appear almost limitless in comparison to First Nations groups and their dedicated legal teams, who often work pro-bono simply because of their belief in the cause. The background research and other costs involved in winning legal cases are invariably immense. Yet, without adequate research and background information, native causes are likely to fail in non-native legal systems.
RAVEN sees the inequity in accessing the justice system and is supporting those First Nations willing to take actionable steps to achieve parity.
What We Are Funding
- We currently support 15 Nations on campaigns that range from Pull Together for Kinder Morgan, to Wild for Salmon – the campaign to support First Nnations fighting the Petronas pipeline.
- We are raising funds for 3 Yukon nations that took their challenge to save the Peel Watershed to all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada.
- We support Lake Babine Nation and the Tsilhqot’in Nation as they both push back on open pit mines that would destroy sacred areas and vital water systems.
- We have been fundraising for Beaver Lake Cree Nation for 8 years to support their historic legal challenge to stop the expansion of the tar sands industries in their traditional territory.
- All money raised goes to support the costs of getting these legal actions to and through court
Find out how you can get involved here: fundraise.raventrust.com