VIDEO: Online rally for Grassy Narrows
Grassy Narrows has turned a decades-long injustice into a national issue that can’t be ignored.
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS:
- Grassy Narrows Chief Randy Fobister
- Judy Da Silva is a Grassy Narrows mother to 5 children. Her children help her to have the positive energy to continue to look for justice and for a solution to the mercury poisoning of their river system in Grassy Narrows and Mother Earth.
- Chrissy Isaacs is a Grassy Narrows mother and land defender. Chrissy was one of the initiators of the Slant Lake Blockage in 2002, now Canada’s longest running logging blockade. Chrissy is also a singer, artist, mentor, community worker, and educator.
- Leanne Betasamosake Simpson is a renowned Michi Saagiig Nishnaabeg scholar, writer and artist, whose work breaks open the intersections between politics, story and song.
- Tanya Talaga is an award-winning Ojibwe journalist, storyteller, best-selling author, Massey Lecturer, and president of the Indigenous storytelling production company Makwa Creative.
Grassy Narrows still needs to gain just compensation for all of its people for the ongoing mercury crisis, to restore their health, way of life, and self determination, and protect their land and water from industrial logging and mining. Watch the video to learn how to take action and Stand with Grassy.